Benefits of Membership
- Participation in Stoa’s National Invitational Tournament of Champions (NITOC) – if invited
- Participation in any tournament requiring Stoa membership
- Upload of results from Stoa tournaments to Speechranks
- Qualification for optional liability insurance for clubs and tournaments
- Vote for Board members
- Vote for debate resolutions
- Vote for Wildcard speech events
- Vote on key organizational decisions
- Periodic news updates (StoaBytes) from the Stoa Board
- Access to LexisNexis® research database for only $40 per student per year (usually costs $2400 per year for a single user license.) Click here for details.
Cost of Membership
- $55.00 for families with at least one student 12-18 years old competing at tournaments (regardless of the number of children).
- $30.00 for coaches/parents (without their own students) / alumni or families with junior students only (all students less than 12 years old on October 1st) – this status is sometimes necessary for junior tournament insurance purposes when all competitors must be Stoa members.
- Dues are not refundable or transferable
Stoa is organized to serve the privately educated, Christian homeschool community. Stoa recognizes and accepts that homeschooling families use a wide variety of homeschooling strategies and supports the parental right to direct the education of their children. Eligibility for Stoa and the National Invitational Tournament of Champions (NITOC)
Competitors joining Stoa shall meet the following criteria:
(It is expected that a student registering for a tournament is able to compete the entire tournament.)
Competitors shall be ages 12 to 18 on October 1st.
NOTE: For the 2016-2017 season only, competitors who turn 12 between October 1st 2016 and January 1st 2017 will be eligible to compete.
2016-2017 Age Eligibility Timeline
2. STATEMENT OF FAITH
The parent member(s) must agree with the Statement of Faith.
1. There is one God eternally existing in three persons: the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 3:16, Matthew 28:19, John 10:30, 2 Corinthians 13:14)
2. Man is sinful and therefore separated from God, who is holy and perfect.
(Isaiah 53:5-9, Romans 3:23, I Peter 1:15-16)
3. Jesus Christ paid the eternal penalties for our sin through His death on the cross
(Luke 24:46, I Peter 2:21)
4. Jesus Christ also resurrected bodily and ascended into heaven and will return one day to fulfill His kingdom. (Matthew 28:6, Revelation 19:11)
5. Only through Jesus Christ and the grace of His provision of salvation, may we be saved from eternal punishment, enter into God’s family and receive eternal life.
(Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 6:23, Romans 8:11, I John 1:9)
6. The Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible and authoritative Word of God and the truth for Christian faith and practice.
(2 Timothy 3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:20-21, John 17:17, 1 Thessalonians 2:13, Psalm 19:7-11,
3. HOME EDUCATED
If the following statements can be affirmed (with a yes) the student shall be deemed privately home educated for Stoa purposes.
Your student is eligible to be covered by HSLDA based on their criteria as written on 9/15/2016.
Your student is at least ONE of the following:
(a) Exempt from public education enrollment and/or attendance in your state
(b) Homeschooled under the statutes or regulations in your state
(c) Enrolled in a non-public home-based educational program according to the laws in your state
(a) Not enrolled full-time in a public charter school or public school independent study program.
(b) Not enrolled full-time in a college. The college institution defines what constitutes full-time.
Register for Stoa Membership Now