The Mike Winther Award
In November 2021, Mike Winther, one of the great leaders of the Stoa community, was transferred from the Church Militant to the Church Triumphant. A man of unwavering faith, Mike served the Stoa community from its inception. In addition to serving the Debate Committee for many years, he served on the Stoa Board of Directors from 2017 to 2021 and coached the Modesto Debate club with his wife Mary for nearly 25 years. We will always remember Mike as a man of God’s Word, a man of integrity, a man of wisdom, a man of kindness, and a man of prayer.
To honor Mike’s memory, the Stoa Board of Directors, in 2022, established the Mike Winther Award. The award recognizes excellence in character as demonstrated in Student Leadership, Civic involvement, and the understanding of the Biblical role of government.
1. Nomination: The student must be nominated by an adult (parent or coach) within Stoa no later than April 15, 2022.
Email your candidate nomination to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Graduating senior name, phone number, email address
- Parent of senior’s name, phone number, email address
- Nominating adult’s name, phone number, email address
- Paragraph on why the student should be considered
- Must be a graduating senior in Stoa
- Must demonstrate Student Leadership in mentoring or training in forensics within their club or community
- Must demonstrate civic involvement. For example: Homeschool Day at the Capitol, volunteering on a political campaign, Generation Joshua, volunteering in support of political issues, Constitution Day, etc.
3. Student Requirements:
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- One letter should be on the student’s character from a pastoral reference
- One letter must explain student leadership regarding mentoring or training in forensics within their club or community.
- One letter must explain their civic involvement
- Must submit a 5-minute video on the 2022 topic: “What is the Biblical role of the government in the safety of its citizens.” Topics rotate each year. The speech must be memorized.
- Deadline for Email submission: May 1, 2022
Award: The Mike Winther Award Trophy and $1,000 prize money will be awarded at the NITOC Awards Ceremony. Along with the Stoa award, The Institute for Principle Studies (IPS) would like to offer the following to the winner of the Mike Winther Award:
- A 4-to-6-week internship at the IPS headquarters in Modesto, CA. This could either be used in the calendar year in which the student wins the award or during the following calendar year and mutually agreed upon by IPS and the winning student.
- Internship responsibilities include but not be limited to research, writing, reading, office help, conference and event help, project development, including helping with the Logos Forensics association and other entities. The intern would also receive training and instruction on the Biblical view of government and economics from the IPS staff.
- The winning student will receive compensation for travel to and from Modesto. Housing will be supplied by IPS staff members or local IPS donors. Housing arrangements will be agreed upon by IPS and the student and his or her parents.