2020-2021 Servant Heart Award
Beginning this season, the Servant Heart Award will provide recognition to both individuals and clubs who are growing in their character along with their speaking skills. We hope this award will inspire all Stoa students and clubs to reach out and share their skills to “change the world for Christ”.
Some ideas for serving include providing free speech or debate workshops, entertaining at nursing homes, speaking at organization meetings, visiting shut-ins, evangelism, or other acts of kindness within your community, city, state, nation, or the world.
How can you get involved?
Identify a service opportunity you or your club can participate in that uses public speaking skills…and start serving! Then document your experience through pictures and/or videos.
Here is the process:
- Participate in a service opportunity that uses your speaking skills.
- Create a 3–5 minute video that explains the project—who is being helped, how skills learned in Stoa were used, and the impact (short-term and long-term) of the service. This can be a video compilation of varied clips, a single video recording, or multiple photos with voice-over. Be creative!
- Each club award participant must be nominated by a fellow club leader or club parent. Each individual award participant can be nominated by any Stoa coach, parent, alumni, or fellow Stoa student.
- Servant Heart video submissions must be submitted by the nominator. The video should include the name of the individual or club being nominated along with who is nominating them.
- A video release form must be submitted by each individual shown in the video.
- The first submissions will be due by October 15th, and the first recipient(s) will be announced in the November StoaByte. Submissions are due by the 15th of the preceding month. There will be monthly recipients from November to April.
- Please submit videos and release forms to email@example.com.
- Each individual or club video will be evaluated by the Stoa Executive Director and the Stoa Board on the following criteria:
- Positive, Christ-like impact
- Use of speaking skills
- Overall community outreach
- The award recipient(s) will be announced in the subsequent month’s StoaByte and will receive a certificate of recognition.
- At NITOC, the individual and club monthly award recipients will receive stage recognition. The Stoa Board will also evaluate and determine overall winners selected from the monthly award recipients. Overall individual and club winners will each receive a certificate, a cash award, and a Servant Heart trophy. The trophy awarded to the annual club winner will be a traveling trophy.
We encourage you to be creative in your selection of opportunities and your submission. Think about the impact your words and actions have on those around you and how you can use your abilities to serve your community. We look forward to seeing your submissions!
If you have any questions, please contact Angela Childress at firstname.lastname@example.org.